Safely pitch in this month for a worldwide cleanup of our coastlines and neighborhoods! We are happy to partner with the Ocean Conservancy to offer you an easy way to log the trash you pick up as part of the International Coastal Cleanup, all while staying safe in small-scale, socially distant cleanups. You can tap icons of what you collect with the Clean Swell app and using the group name Environmental Science Center helps us add it all up. View instructions and videos below and use these additional resources for cleanup tips and other efforts you can do from home or in your neighborhood to #CleanOn!
Why Track The Trash?
Tracking trash shows what items are being found where, and can raise concerns or influence laws to decrease marine debris. In California for instance, the Ocean Conservancy and California Coastal Commission were able to see the positive impact the plastic ban had, because less and less plastic bags have been reported. View the Clean Swell video.
Why Get The App?
The app allows you to easily track how much trash you collected as well as:
- Get an estimate of pounds of trash picked up
- Know how big of an area you covered
- Track how much time you spent cleaning up
- Enter “Environmental Science Center” as a group name to help us add your results to our annual data
- Keep track of how much trash you collected over time
If You Can’t Use The App
No problem. Go directly on the Ocean Conservancy website to report your trash (the process is very similar to the app)
- Get the app from your app store –The app exists for iPhones and Androids.
- Open the app and create an account
- When you start a cleanup
- Update the number of people who are with you
- Make sure to enter “Environmental Science Center” as a group. You can do “Environmental Science Center – 238” or “Environmental Science Center 2020 PIE” for instance to have our group name + yours
- Having a group name helps us track all of the trash collected, which is very precious to us!
- Click on “Start Collecting” to begin your cleanup
- Tap the icons every time you find an item in that category (use “remove item” for mistakes)
Here are some different ways to record trash while picking it up:
- Hold the bucket and your phone in one hand and pick up trash with the other
- Have one person pick up while the other taps the icons on the phone
- Record what’s found at the end of the cleanup when emptying your bucket
- If you find a small area filled with trash, you can count the trash first and then pick it up
- Once done, make sure the group name is entered and tap “Done Collecting” at your cleanup site. -This ensures your data and gps location are recorded.
- Depending on how much trash you collect, the app will show you different fun facts.
And for the collectors, you can start a badge collection based on your progress!
If You Forgot To Add The Group
No worries! You can send us a screenshot of your results or forward us the email Clean Swell sends you at the end of every submission: email@example.com
If You Take A Break
You may loose your data if you stop for too long, so you can mark your cleanup as done when you take a break and start a new one when you are back at it!
THANKS FOR HELPING! Be safe and have fun! #CleanOn everyone!